All River Island
So another highstreet store, another New in post. I don't actually shop very often at River Island, but I noticed that recently they've got a lot of nice stuff in. They seem to be going with this 'Chelsea girl' look for Autumn, so I've picked out a few of my favourites from that range, and some other things from the 'just arrived' section.
1) Pussy bow blouse - Brown and chiffon together sounds so wrong, but this diamond-patterned pussy bow number just works for some reason. The print makes it look quite 70's-inspired I think, but with a pair of high-waisted shorts and the right accessories, it would look perfectly up to date. I think it would also look great with skinny jeans and heels for a relaxed night-time oufit.
2) Envelope clutch bag - Snake skin is rumored to be making a come-back this season. But if (like me) you're not a big fan, this classy clutch bag is the perfect way to subtly incorporate it into your wardrobe. But my favourite thing about this bag is the envelope style front. If I had anywhere to go (lol) I'd definitely get myself an envelope clutch for nights out/formal events.
3) Polka dot contrast collar dress - Whenever I see a dress with a collar like this, my first thought is always 'I want now!!' usually followed by 'I can't afford it' which is then followed by 'not fair :'(' So you can see I have the mental age ten year old when it comes to clothes. Anyway, back to the dress. It's pretty and stylish, great for daytime or a night out. Wear it with brogues and a red satchel bag for the ultimate dose of preppiness!
4) Varsity-style sweater - I called this varsity-style, but I'm not sure it officailly qualifies.. oh well it'll have to do. I've always wanted a sweater like this, white or light grey. I've seen people wearing them with skinny jeans, looking effortlessly cool. Unfortunately, I can't seem to pull off the effortless look, a certain amount of effort is required to make me look half-decent! Nevertheless, I'm sure it would look lovely on most people, especially with acid-wash denim.
5) Red quilted coat - Now I may be jumping the gun a bit with this thoroughly wintery quilted coat, but you've got to think ahead in fashion right? I've seen a lot of quilted jackets on the highstreet, I think they're shaping up to be next seasons 'it' coats. And there's something therapeutic about a pop of colour (excuse the cliché) in your winter wardrobe, especially when it's red! I'll probably search around for a cheaper version of this though, £55 is a bit pricey for me.
6) Black Chelsea boots - I actually recently bought these boots, and they're my absolute pride and joy! They're just so versatile and they'll be infinitely useful for A/W. The chunky heel is just right for me, small enough to make them easy to walk in but tall enough to give me some (much needed) height. I really recommend these, even though they're not cheap, because they literally go with anything and they're just darn lovely!